Monday, June 22, 2009

Goal, Golden Bay

I set out from Nelson at 10 am on Monday. The owner of the backpackers dropped me off on the other side of town so I would have a better chance of getting picked up hitch hiking. I stood out front of some fancy condos for about 45 minutes with my thumb out and my tunes blasting when i heard some shouts poking through my Arcade Fire. It was coming from above my head and I looked up to see an older tanned couple asking me where I was headed. I quipped "Motueka!" and they volleyed "we are heading there in 5 minutes." That was easy I thought. I waited outside the parking garage and was greeted by a retired realtor, wearing Versace sunglasses. We talked travel, NZ, Obama along the way. I was dropped on the other side of Motueka to further my chances of getting a hitch over the hill into my destination town of Takaka. I waited for ages. a few cars stopped but were only going a fraction of the way and my chances would diminishing if i left Mot. I had to get into Takaka tonight because I had to report to The Dangerous Kitchen by 10am Tuesday. There was a shuttle leaving Mot at 4:20 but I couldn't afford to put it on my credit card so I wanted that to be my last resort. I set my phone alarm to 4:00 so if i didn't get a hitch I could run over and book the bus. I borrowed some cardboard and a Sharpie from a local business and made myself a "TAKAKA" sign. I stood outside the Police station of all places and prayed for my arts and crafts project to pay off........

No comments:

Post a Comment